[pct-l] hiking poles

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 20:08:55 CST 2007

>>How much experience have you with good adjustable trekking poles?

Enough where the adjustable (collapsible !) ones "adjusted" themselves at the wrong time!
(Skiing mainly. Black diamond. Which aren't cheap! )

I am a big believer in the KISS principle. It is (part of the reason) why I backpack..

Then I read something like this:

>>to adjust. I've had trouble gripping mine firmly enough to twist them to
>>unlock. So I carry a couple of little grip pads (pieces of rubber-like
>>cushion mesh sold as shelf liner especially non-slip shelf liner.)

You, my room-mate, a girlfriend, my closest friends and other hikers I know well always seem to
be futzing with poles.

Again, I love the KISS principle. In this case, the simplest solution also happens to be the less expensive one, too.

Just call me" "Iconoclast Mags" :)