[pct-l] General Gear Questions

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Wed Jan 10 20:03:21 CST 2007

Alex Said:
(copying the pct-l in case others are interested)

bill i have a tarp that I used with my family in the Sierra's last summer.
it sleeps 5 comfortably. its almost a tarp lodge. :) my question is about
adding bug protection to a tarp. what method have you found for adding bug
protection to just a plain tarp? we sorely needed bug protection last
summer!

----------------------------
I have used the bug tent that hangs from inside a tarp.  It is also from
golite
http://www.golite.com/products/NS_proddetail.asp?number=SH6003

This works well, but being zipperless (extra long flap in front) you need to
crawl into it very low.  It is hung on the inside of the tarp, not
permanently fixed.   So, you can use it or not depending on where you are on
the trip.  You do have room in it to move about a bit, which is nice.   If
you think this is worth a try, I have only used mine twice.  I will sell it
to you for half price plus shipping.  If you pop it up and decide it is not
for you, send it back and I will refund minus shipping.  We could use paypal
to make it easy.

Another popular choice is the bug bivy.  I have not used this, but its
functionality is easy to predict just by looking at it.  This was the choice
I was leaning toward along with my tarp when I opted for the Henry Shires
Tarptent instead.  Still not sure I made the right choice, but I did like
the idea of being able to sit up, read, or goof with my gear in bug safety.
Here is the bug bivy
http://www.thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp?subcat=12
<http://www.thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp?subcat=12&cid=32> &cid=32

Others have sewn a bug net to the edges of their tarp and let it drape down
onto the ground.  This is basically what the HShires floorless version is.

  _____