[pct-l] hiking poles

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Wed Jan 10 14:47:16 CST 2007

Mike Saenz wrote:

> My hiking buddy always knows when I'm coming up from behind by hearing
> my poles click-clacking along the trail!

which brings up another thing i use my poles for! when i find myself
gaining on day hikers, often it's hard for them to hear me coming up
from behind. if you call out to them as you approach, it can really
startle them, especially if you're out in the middle of nowhere and
they're not expecting others to be around. i've found it's less
startling to just deliberately start making more noise with my poles as
i'm approaching to let them "discover" me behind them that way.

girlscout

--
Pea Hicks
San Diego, CA