[pct-l] decision to use hiking poles

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Wed Jan 10 12:10:56 CST 2007

I, also, was one to resist this innovation, considering it to be the
latest "fad".  I did initially use one ski pole, then two, then a pair of
trekking poles.

Amazing effects:  eliminated soreness in my knees, and the daily swelling
of my hands.  Greatly reduced end-of-day pain in my feet.

The description of a handrail is apt.  I've often described it as having
"4-wheel drive"---ESPECIALLY downhill.  I feel that I can move faster in a
controlled, safe fashion.

I have found that I adjust the length fairly often....when I start an
uphill, or downhill grade.  Obviously, on a sidehill, though that is not
so much of an issue on a trail.

As for cost, you can now purchase three-section hiking poles at Wal-Mart
or K-mart for $10-15/each.  I bought a pair to try out, and found them to
be quite acceptable for occasional use.  They don't have the durability
built into the major brands, but I use them for friends who join me on a
hike, who don't have them or don't want to bring on a plane.  Totally
acceptable for a test, I'd think.