[pct-l] Keeping a VERY skinny guy warm in SoCAL

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 11:07:48 CST 2007

Paul,

A great deal of heat escapes from the back of the neck and head. I use a
down filled hood from an expedition down jacket, also known as a bomber hat.
See example

http://www.nunatakusa.com/Down_Balaclava.htm
or
http://www.ray-way.com/bomber/index.shtml

The arteries to the head don't contract with cold as do the extremeties. If
you use a fleece balaclava then make sure it's windproof. A neck gator with
hat will help while hiking in the cold or sitting about at camp.

armchair