[pct-l] Keeping a VERY skinny guy warm in SoCAL

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 11:01:58 CST 2007

re: 900 fill vs. 750 fill

Ever notice the only in recent years there have been more 900 fill jackets/bags/whatever?

I don't think geese have changed all that much since 1995 or whatever. :-)

From what I've read, the 900 fill power is as much marketing hype as anything. The 900 fill type "puffiness" may work in factory, pre-shipping conditions but once you actually ship the bag/jacket/whatever the so-called higher loft is shown to be what it is: hype.  .Feathered Friends and Western Montaineering
do not have 900 fill anything and they are arguably the finest makers of down sleeping bags.

So, what does all the above mean? It is correct to think that you should go with the loftier jacket and not some marketing hype about 900 fill.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com