[pct-l] Bringing friends to hike part of the trail - could usesome suggestions

Bill & Cathy Frenette tahoe.cat at verizon.net
Tue Jan 2 20:25:12 CST 2007

Hi All   Happy New Year    Yes coming out of "Hauser Canyon" can be a
killer. We had our scouts out for a day hike, within the first couple hours
two of our boys were out of water. I had my day pack, 1.5 liters of water
and 4 24oz bottles. I gave them 2 bottles each. They had brought 2 12oz
bottles with them. It was June 6th of  03 and was very "hot". I was pulling
up the rear to be sure every one was OK,  Ha. When we hit "Hauser Canyon" I
was dry, Out of Water, Ka Put. All the men went ahead with a few of the
scouts to get the cars, They had to shuttle back. My head was "cooking " so
bad I rested under a bush that gave very little shade, I was about ready to
pass out. One of the women with our group came back looking for me "God
Bless Her" she had extra water. She walked with me until I was out of that
mess. I know that I was very near the end of my rope. I've learned a lot
since then, That good old Umbrella is good for shade too not just rain. The
time of year, your conditioning, the terrain, Good old SoCal can "cook you
and burn you up, drown you or freeze you. Remember  "Be Prepared"   Ground
Pounder Bill     "Semper Fi"

PS  That hike got me seeing myself and how out of shape I was, I've now been
working on that.