[pct-l] Gear

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 26 16:50:22 CST 2007

I was at REI earlier this week and was checking out the pads. In the next
bin was the Thermarests. The ProLite3 short weighed in at 13 oz compared to
the short Z-Rest at 11oz. Then there was the sitting pad (20x16 inches) for
3.5 oz. and it was rolled up into a 2x6 inch roll.   Hmm, I wonder if I can
sleep on a 20x16 pad.

The other options are a blue pad or RidgeRest at about 9 oz.

Experience tells me that the Thermarest will last much longer than the
Z-Rest. I end up replacing the Z-Rest during every long distance hike
because of the compression. I am getting a ULA Circuit backpack so I don't
think I need the Z-rest for the backpack support.

No decisions yet, but I am considering the Prolite3.

Ken