[pct-l] SealSkinz ultra light socks

Jeff Moorehead jeffmoorehead1 at cox.net
Sat Feb 24 13:33:22 CST 2007

Last year I bought a pair of Gore-tex oversocks from Cabela's in
anticipation of the stream crossings and slushy snowfields in the Sierra.
The system actually turned out to be a workable solution on the trail
(unlike so many other 'brilliant' ideas that fell by the wayside). Needed:
two pairs of dry socks,and one pair of dry Gore-tex oversocks. I would hike
with regular dry socks until the first stream crossing of the day and just
power through it boots and all. After the crossing, shed everything, dry
your feet and put on dry socks and then the oversocks on top of those and
then put the wet boots on. As long as you don't go in above the mid-calf
area (the top of the oversocks), your feet remain dry all day. On a few deep
crossings (i.e. Bear Creek, Evolution Creek),  I would have to shed the dry
socks and go through just in boots since the water would have breached the
waterproof barrier. Usually, careful planning would allow a quick crossing
the multitide of smaller streams without adjusting anything.
  This really worked well. Toward the end of the Sierra, one of the Gore-tex
socks sprung a leak which I fixed with some seam sealer.
Whiptail