[pct-l] Stove fuel

TOM AND JOANNE BALCOM tombalcom785 at msn.com
Fri Feb 23 23:09:39 CST 2007

On my 2003 hike, I used my alcohol stove all the way to Canada.  Elevation had nothing to do with the way it operated.  Quite often I would be eating my meal while others were still trying to light their conventional stoves.  I never had any trouble buying denatured alcohol.  One time, I did have to use Heet--the yellow one.  You can buy denatured alcohol in any hardware or paint store and quite often find it in hiker boxes.  I carried my alcohol in a 20-ounce Pepsi bottle marked "denatured alcohol."  To date, I have hiked over 3200 miles and have used my stove every night on the trail, and I think it is just getting broke in.

Stretch
(Tom Balcom, Junction City, Oregon)