[pct-l] Route trace for Topo! Software

Ken Roberts kenandeb at sover.net
Thu Feb 22 19:59:14 CST 2007

This winter I gathered up 3 sets of GPS / Mapping Software to check them
out and convert some waypoint and track data. Delorme Topo USA 6.0, Garmin
MapSource 4.09, National Geographic Back Roads Explorer TOPO Ver 3.4.

I found the MapSource software interesting because you can actually load
topographic maps into your Garmin GPS.   My Garmin has a about 1 1/4 inch
by 2 1/4 inch screen and you can scroll the topo map on the screen.  A
track and waypoints of the trail could by uploaded to a GPS to be displayed
against the topomap. The map scale looks about 50,000:1. which is about as
much detail as you can use on the small screen. It would help a great deal
to have a color display.  It does provide you with additional orientation
in a convinent package.

Anyway if your interested in downloading my tracks and waypoints of the
PCT, I have them in four different software formats You can download from a
link at the bottom of this page. http://www.morethanamile.com/pctcd/support.htm