[pct-l] Searchers wanted

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Thu Feb 22 01:17:57 CST 2007

Vic

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but I do have some experience with
websites and search engine placement.

I'll respond to the list for anybody else who has a page, journal, whatever
that they'd like to see on the search engines.

Traffic to your site is not what influences page rank on google.  You could
get five million hits in one month and it would not increase your page
rankings.  It may factor in on other search engines, but it's doubtful to be
the main criteria for any of them.  If it were, the pages that end up on top
would be there permanently.

Google page-rank is determined by a number of criteria:

A) the number of links to your site from other sites with similar content
B) the rank of the sites that link to yours
C) the quality and type of content on your site, i.e.. keywords and related
words found throughout the pages
D) the structure of your site - whether it accommodates "spider" programs
which search and index the pages
E) how frequently the site is updated
F) who knows what else - google doesn't publish their formula

To get your site in the top couple pages for any particular sets of keywords
takes a lot of work.  It's a specialized field called SEO - Search Engine
Optimization.  They typically charge a fee per keyword phrase, and more or
less depending on how competitive the keywords are, and it takes months to
see results.  For example, one word - sex - you're not going to get on the
top few pages without spending a small fortune on web marketing and SEO
services.  A phrase like "vibrating trekking pole" is going to be easier and
cheaper to achieve good search engine placement results with.

The best thing you can do to get your site higher on google is find as many
other websites of interest as possible where you can post a link to your
site, or pay a good search engine optimizer to help you out.

I used www.stepforth.com and was able to achieve top results for my site for
a couple search phrases.  Most days if you type "3D animation studio" into
google, my site comes up before Pixar!  It wasn't cheap or simple to achieve
that though.

Cheers,
Paul