[pct-l] Foot swelling - how long before it sets in?

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Feb 20 16:52:07 CST 2007

Paul Mitchell wrote:
> My two buddies are coming down for 110 miles only, and we'll be hiking
> between 10-15 miles a day through section A.  What I can't remember is how
> long it took before our feet started swelling last time.  Should I make sure
> they's guys get larger shoes to accomodate swelling, or does it take a few
> weeks and longer miles before that's an issue?
>
> Seems to me that it was often too-tight shoes that were causing people
> blisters.
>
> Any insights?

i don't think there's any way of predicting this at all. some folks
start having problems the first day, other folks don't ever have any
(significant) problems at all.

my opinion is that your friends should take shoes that fit them
comfortably at the start of their hike. chances are, they'll have foot
issues of some sort or another regardless, and if so, well at least
they're not going to be out there for very long! :)

girlscout