[pct-l] Lingering with a question (redux)

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 11:42:45 CST 2007

> Hi Monty - was there anywhere on the trail where you had problems finding
> resupply food?  Thanks  greg

No, with one or two exceptions.
I shipped almost everything.
I have other requirements that require extra shipping, so I have another
reason to ship.
Everything arrived repackaged pre weighed and ready to go.
There's a few places I knew about that I bought food, but usually that comes
with having to go a little heavier on food for a day or two.  Timberline
Lodge, per phone, twice, told me they had resupply type food.  None.  But
they had a decent hiker box so I did get resupplied.  Snoqualomine Pass was
the toughest to get my box or find hiker food.  I had to call the
independent postmaster on her cell phone a week before to have my box
available at the PO outlet instead of down at a main PO miles away where the
store all packages.  I think I bought a gas statiion type hot dog or two to
suppliment my hiker box and that was as close as they got to real food.
Things may be different this year.

This year I will intentionally short some of those packages so I can add on
some "first day out" extras along the way like a couple Quarter Pounders
with cheese at Cajon Pass (Hwy 15), a huge deli sandwich from Jensen's in
Wrightwood, something from a great grocery store in Agua Dulce, a burrito
from Tehachapi, Pizza (keeps very well) from Diamond Lake (Alt route north
of Crater Lake) and the Stehekin Bakery. All the bigger towns have "first
day food" that make my hike more pleasant.

Resupply wise, my stops are mostly 3-4 days with exceptions of 2 and 5 and
maybe a 6 or two.

Warner Springs Monty