[pct-l] Lingering with a question (redux)

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 22:23:36 CST 2007

> Hello Monty,
>
> 1 1/2 pounds or less per day?  Wow--I'm getting hungry just thinking
> about it.  Yes, I'm curious--I've gone to thru-hiker.com and looked  at
> some food recommendations there, and they seemed adequate to me.   In any
> case, yes, I'd like your ideas as new information is always a  good thing.

> Ben

Food for one day (shoot toward zero moisture) 16-24 0unces:

Snacks (times three per day)
Nuts, trail mix, granola, dried pineapple, rasins, snickers, energy bar,
licorice, jolly ranchers,
jello instant pudding with powdered milk (sugar free weighs much less)....
.......................... 2- 3.5 ounces

Breakfast
Pop Tarts, granola (1/8 cup powdered milk to add water later optional),
anything multigrain (bread, breakfast and energy
bars).........................................  ....................3-4
ounces

Lunch
Tortillas, pita, rice cakes, crackers with peanut butter(prespread)
.............................................3-4 ounces

Dinner
Lipton noodle sides, freeze dried backpacker food (chili mac
etc)..............................................3.5-4 0zs

Repackage EVERYTHING (almost) in the bags you put your produce into in the
grocery store then cut off excess for a few reasons:
Lighter, less trash volume, and foods pack down much, much smaller than in
original packaging or ziplocks.  This is especially good for packing a bear
canister.

I also carry 2-3 ounces of instant white rice as a backup for emergencies or
an addition to a noodle side  I usually had food left over coming into the
next town.  The three times in lots of miles I've run low is by misjudging
the number of days travel between resupplies, but on a per day basis I've
always had enough to get stuffed.

If my math is correct we're looking at 16-24 ounces per day.

On this diet, for example, I gained 2 lbs from the Canada to California
section doing up to 35 mile days.  Also the lighter pack (5.5 lb. base
weight) took much, much less energy to carry and would allow me to carry
much more food (or anything) weight and/or volume if I wanted .

I don't know any thru-hiker who ate more than me.  I was NEVER hungry.

Warner Springs Monty