[pct-l] hiking in rain gear

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Feb 18 13:11:00 CST 2007

I do my long hikes in the summer in the Sierras-usually 30 to 50 days
per summer. I always take polypro long underwear, it weighs so little
but I consider it to be the absolute essential bottom layer for stormy
days on high passes.  When I gotta go over Forester and rain is
threatening, I put that on first.  Then my usual hiking layers over it
(nylon long pants, silk shirt) then fleece top and wind shirt.  When the
rain hits I toss on my silnylon poncho and waterproof pants and I feel
bombproof and warm.  I have found gore-tex jackets just too confining, I
sweat them up too much and sweat thru all my layers, and besides my pack
doesn't stay dry.  So the poncho works best for me.  I've also been
known to wear rubber gloves to hike in cold rainy conditions.  I can put
fleece mittens or nylon overmitts over them and my hands are warm and
dry.  Cold  bare wet hands are debilitating.
Marion