[pct-l] The Red Rock Valley Cabin, Marbles

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Feb 15 19:47:26 CST 2007

Had you been out there 20 years ago when the hunting shack was there on the
red rock trail three miles in from Lover's camp?

Monty
^^^^
I remember the Red Rock Valley cabin in the Marbles well. I have a
slide-photo somewhere of it from 1983. On my hike thru there in 1983 I met
the largest black bear I've ever seen. I first thought it was a cow! His
black fur shined like chrome, and he was lazily grazing near the trail in
the meadow by the cabin. So I took a big silent circle thru the trees around
him. 24 years later, he is still the largest black bear I've ever seen or
met, and I've met dozens. This cabin and bear are sadly now gone, but I'm
glad to hear Monty saw it, and to reawaken an old memory of mine.
www.pbase.com/losthiker
~~
I will soon give my input into Jeff's "Castella to Seiad camps" question,
since this section has been my home for 30 years.