[pct-l] Hiking without a stove

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Feb 10 22:04:49 CST 2007

In 1996 we hiked the sierras part of the PCT (300 miles) without a
stove. Our packs were pretty heavy even without stove/pots/fuel, so this
took us 35 days.  We ate breakfast and lunch while hiking the
trail--dried fruit, nuts, jerky, gatorade, and energy bars.  For dinner
we had granola with powdered soy milk, and cold bean soup, with dark
chocolate for dessert.    The bean soup recipe was published in
"Lipsmackin Backpackin".  It rehydrates in cold stream water in 30-45
minutes.

It's a tradeoff between living to eat and eating to live.  Stove and
fuel, first is something extra to carry, and one more thing to break
down.  If your stove is nothing more than a soda can, then the only
breakdown you might get is by sitting on it.  For several summers we
carried an MSR whisperlite, and faced a nightly ritual of servicing it
to get it going.

When dinner prep consists of pouring water into a closed container, by
the time its rehydrated, you have your camp ready for bed.  No cooking
means you aren't broadcasting food odors to draw bears.  No cooking also
means no cleanup.  Our dinner cleanup consisted of swishing a little
water in the mug we ate from and drinking it.
The no-cook system worked great for us after an exhausting day of hiking
over those big ol' passes.
Marion