[pct-l] Gaiters...

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 6 15:55:59 CST 2007

Georgi wrote:

Roy...yes!!! An emphatic yes!!!.  The volcanic ash and cinder in the (lower, at least) Cascades will be a killer down the back of whatever you're wearing on you feet W/O gaiters.  Trust me!!!

I definitely agree that it's a good idea to find *some* way to keep junk out of your footwear.  It prolongs the life of both your shoes and your feet.

I'm not "pure" lightweight hiker because, due to weak ankles, I have to wear (lightweight) boots with some ankle support to them rather than running shoes.  However, when I combine them with light pants (which I prefer to wear rather than shorts for a variety of reasons), I find that I never need to wear gaiters except in deep sloppy snow.  The long leg cuffs of my pants cover the high ankle collars of my boots and that works very nicely to keep everything out.  It amounts to the same thing, I suppose, but this way I don't have to mess with the gaiters when I put on or remove my footwear and it's one less thing to accidentally lose.

Eric