[pct-l] Descending from San Jacinto to Palm Springs

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Mon Feb 5 13:17:32 CST 2007

Not getting into the "whys" of trying to get off the San Js AND avoiding
the Tram...

What I know:

1) The tram is, of course, the easiest, quickest and "sane-est" way off
the San J Basins.
2) The Cactus to Clouds trail is a BRUTAL route up AND down. Ever been
on the Tram? It climbs just to the north of the C2C route and the
terrain is extremely rough, steep and, because of this- spectacular. I
could send a few photos if you're interested. BTW- a SAR member died
soloing up the C2C a couple years ago.
3) As Donovan's story illustrates- The three canyons east of the San J
basins are very dangerous to descend down. As Matt Maxon recommended-
ropes/harnesses and all that mountaineering gear would be required.

But if you wanted to bail off the trail and get to Palm Springs, there
are a few canyons off the Desert Divide that'll get you there. The
further south (closest to the 74), the easier the descent. Regarding the
trail off of Tunnel Spring; When I camped at Live Oak Spring, I walked
as far down the trial as time allowed. The trail east of the spring was
well defined and appeared recently traveled. It hooks up with a Jeep
Trail at the bottom and that leads toward Palm Springs. But if you're
gonna bail the trail so close the 74, why not hitch to Palm Springs at
the 74? You're intent seems to walk a trail all the way to Palm Springs.
Then the trail east from Live Oak Spring is your best option. The miles
of road walk from the San Gorgonio pass to Palm Springs would be less
than the Live Oak Spring/Palm Canyon trail.

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com