[pct-l] MAPS

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun Feb 4 21:01:26 CST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Rknuteson at aol.com wrote:

> Are the maps printed in the guide books sufficient for a  thru-hike
> (some
> seem hard to read) or do you recommend getting individual  maps?
> If so, where
> can one get 1:50,000 maps?

The maps in the guidebooks are sufficient and yes they are hard to read
at times.

I recommend getting the Tom Harrison maps for the JMT portion of the
PCT.

I also recommend getting the Tom Harrison map for San Jacinto if you
are hiking through that area before the snow melts out and need to
actually navigate.  In 2006 I ran into a number of thru-hikers around
San Jacinto who were not prepared for the navigation required when the
trail is still covered with snow.

Tom Harrison sells a number of other maps that cover various portions
of the PCT but the two I mentioned are the only ones that I think would
be clearly helpful for PCT thru hikers.

http://www.tomharrisonmaps.com/

Gary Wright (Radar)