[pct-l] ADZPCTKO

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Dec 29 11:50:10 CST 2007

Yes, you're right about the type of trash referenced, and the containers.  I used to cache at Bouquet Canyon (until the Andersons stepped up and took it over) and reused the containers.  I also wanted to state that the Trail Ratz cache is one of the best maintained caches I'm aware of, and it appears they go to extraordinary lengths to be neat and orderly.

On the other side of the coin, however, are those who don't want to see anything, regardless of what it is, dragged in and left in the wilderness, like so many billboards along a country lane.  What is a welcome by some as a convenience is a hideous eyesore to others.  It's becoming more of an issue as more and more people are leaving caches in various places along the trail. I would suspect sooner or later it could also become an issue with the agencies (USFS, BLM, etc.)

As a confessed former water cacher, and as someone who provides enabling support to hikers, I have mixed feelings on this issue.  My heart says one thing, but my head says another.  It certainly seems to be a blossoming problem from the comments I hear from hikers.

L-Rod