[pct-l] JMT Map Pack

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Mon Dec 24 15:18:25 CST 2007

RE: the accuracy of the Tom Harrison JMT map pack,
especially connecting trails.

I am map crazy, and I live in So. Cal, so I own nearly every
Tom Harrison map.  I love them for the plastic paper, the
mileage and elevation on every segment, and the shading that
reveals the contours of the land.  I rely on these maps
almost exclusively to plan our annual month long High Sierra
loop hike.  We use the PCT for about half of this hike, and
connecting and parallel trails for the rest, to form a loop
of about 300 miles.  I use the Tom Harrison high country
maps to plan these trips, and it is very true that the maps
show trails that are nearly invisible on the ground today.
We have had some very challenging days following trails that
have fallen into such disuse and disrepair that they hardly
can be said to exist any more.  The trails have fallen
victim to fire, lack of maintenance, or simply lack of use.
  The PCT is by far the best maintained trail in the High
Sierra and all other trails pale by comparison.  We have
spent many days bushwhacking, looking for traces of old
trail building (rock steps, water bars or old cut logs) to
find what is left of the old trails.  The trails in SW, SE
and NW Yosemite are especially difficult to follow.  This is
in our most visited National Park!  Since 95% of its
visitors don't walk the trails, the priorities aren't there.
  Every day I spend on these old trails renews my
appreciation for the volunteers who work the PCT and
strengthens my commitment to work the trail in the off
season.  Wouldn't it be great if all the trails could be
maintained like the PCT?

I recommend the Tom Harrison High Country Maps if you are
hiking the PCT and want to have information with you on all
the connecting trails that you can use to bail out to the
east or west, in case of emergency or re-supply needs.
South to north, you could use these maps:
Golden Trout Wilderness Trail Map
Mt. Whitney High Country
King's Canyon High Country
Mono Divide High Country
Mammoth High Country
Yosemite National Park Recreation Map
Emigrant Wilderness
This would cover the area from Olancha Peak to Sonora Pass
in great detail.
Yes, this is a bunch of money and weight.  But if you are
map crazy like me you won't care.  I probably look at my map
200 times a day when I am hiking.
Marion