[pct-l] Velcro Tape

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Mon Dec 24 13:00:58 CST 2007

Tortoise wrote:
> An alternative for ~0 weight.
>
> Put a big rock on top of you stake to hold it in the ground. or lay the
> stake on the ground and put the rock in front or or on the stake to hold it
> in place. This will even work if your tent is on solid rock.  Also one
> could tie the guy line to a branch and then put the rock on it.
>
> About the only added weight is if you make your guy lines a little longer
> to allow for these methods.

We replaced our tent guy lines with thin elastic cord, about
2 feet long, with a small loop tied in one end (figure 8
knot). In camp, gather sturdy twigs (pinky size) and hefty
rocks.  Put the twig thru the loop, stretch out the guy
line, set the rock on the twig and line.  This has worked in
fearsome winds. Elastic cord is available at fabric stores.
Marion