[pct-l] Getting fleeced

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 11:43:17 CST 2007

I am a big fan of the windshirt as well (I prefer the Montbell one as it is lighter)

However, you mention "hanging around camp". If you do less hiking and tend to like more time in camp, you may find yourself in the sleeping bag more.

You may want something warmer. Fleece is warm - but heavy and bulky (if inexpensive from a thrift store).

I prefer Primaloft type jackets for something that is light, warm and not too bulky. It is not much (and even lighter than some cases) than a windshirt.

I tend to walk all day, so that is why I prefer the windshirt as it breathes more and it is more applicable to a range of of conditions. However, if I am in camp more, I prefer a
Primaloft type jacket: http://www.nextag.com/primaloft-jacket/search-html

There are similar types from other companies, but it ends up being the same thing: a light, synthetic fill that replaces fleece.

If you are on a budget, and don't mind sewing a little, I suggest Military Jacket liners. Very light, very compressible and CHEAP:
http://snipurl.com/1vhny

I've seen as low as $5 in the Army/Navy store. (You may have to sew these as they do not have the buttons like the ones in the link. They button into the M-65 army jacket)

You also mention pants, regardless of budget, the M-65 liner pants rock. I use these in shoulder season and/or "social" backpacking trips:
http://snipurl.com/1vhle

Warm, light and cheap!

SOOOOO....

If you move all day and/or don't mind being in your bag at night (I don't), get a windshirt
If you like socializing a bit and/or being out of your bag (which I do at times, esp. when not thru-hiking), get a Primaloft type jacket
If you are on a budget, get the M-65 liners (heck, if I already did not have a Montbell Thermawrap and did not need one desperately last year, I'd probably get one!)

Fleece, while warm is heavy, bulky and usually not wind resistant. Best for around town or for times when you are not doing anything aerobic (downhill skiing, sitting in a tree stand, sipping lattes on Pearl St. in Boulder. :D)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com