[pct-l] Snowshoes and the JMT

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sat Dec 15 11:50:22 CST 2007

Chris,

I would guess that summer snow in the Sierra is similar to summer snow
in our North Cascades.  Here in WA you can walk right on top of the
snowfields during summer.  After the winter season, by April the sun is
back, we start getting some sunny days and clear nights, and you start
getting daily melt/freeze cycles that eventually consolidate the
snowpack into what's commonly called corn snow--more like granules of
ice than the snowflakes they started out as.  As that process continues
over many weeks, the snowpack gets more and more solid, and eventually
you can walk right on top of it, or what's left of it.

Here in WA you could use snowshoes thru May and June.   But by July
what's left of the winter snowpack is well consolidated and you can walk
on top of it.

I would guess the Sierra snowpack goes thru a similar metamorphosis, but
starts earlier because that range starts getting consistently clear and
sunny weather by April.  So I would guess that by June, you'd have a
well consolidated snowpack consisting of granular corn snow.  Barring an
unusual dump that time of year, you'd probably be able to walk on top of
it by June.

Those of you who hike down there regularly, what's your experience
regarding what time of year snowshoes are no longer necessary?

Greg