[pct-l] Water Purification

Robert W. Freed robert at engravingpros.com
Thu Dec 13 15:47:55 CST 2007

I like the bleach thing also. I yo-yoed the JMT this year with nothing but. Remember bleach needs to be stored in a opaque bottle as light destroys chlorine. In 2004 for the PCT I carried a MSR filter for the desert sections and mailed it home from Kennedy Meadows. I plan on doing the same in '08. I remember drinking form some real nasty water sources. Plus it's easy to pump from a trickle on the ground, very hard to fill a water bottle by itself.

  Robert

  1) Distance
- hiked entire PCT and entire CDT

2) Treatment
- On PCT treated nearly everything; much less in the mountain sections
of the CDT.
- used chlorine bleach. I take 1000mg vitamin C as an antioxidant to
offset the hypochlorite oxidant.
- I intended to treat water in the evening and then uncap it all night
to let chlorine escape, but rarely did.
- Tested Aqua Mira on one CDT section. Too expensive for me; the time
and complication wasn't too bad.

3) Next time
- I'd treat much less, treating very few mountain streams and springs.
- I'd stick to bleach; it's very easy and cheap --I carried a tiny
bottle in my pocket and could refill my water bottle in under a minute
without even dropping my pack.