[pct-l] NBs' -lightweight shoes and Sandals

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 09:35:07 CST 2007

SB-

Yes, I saw this post from you several days ago and researched the site you mention.  My fear is that the sandals will allow all the "shards" of sand in and cut my feet to ribbons.  I hear the sand is fierce and not like normal "frolicking at the beach" sand, but more like volcanic torture granules.  Is this true?  I was seriously considering "huaraches" as they are traditional sandals worn by desert dwellers, (read: Ed Abbey) and the authentic ones have actual "tire tread (old tires) for soles, which I think would be excellent..........very durable, and probably good in streams.  I may still go with them......not sure.

When I got to New England on the AT, my feet were so tuff that I just blasted thru the streams (many, many, many.......sometimes within hours), with my hiking boots on, while my friends daintily sat and removed their boots at every crossing.  I found that by then my feet were so tough that it had no adverse effect and every thru hiker knows that it is impossible to keep your feet dry while hiking anyway.  I just squished down the trail for a brief time after each one and then they dried out or at least were unnoticeable.  No big problem.

Wheeew

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:      gailpl2003 at yahoo.com writes:  P.S.  In regard to my last post, I must also say that I had the same  bad (uncomfortable) feeling when I tried on some NB tennies.  Must be that  if varies vastly from model to model.
 Switchback replies: Just go to www.Bite.com and get some Double X TG hiking  sandals and say good-by to foot problems.  Here how you do  it:

 1.  You have to train in hiking sandals to make sure your ankles are  strong.
 2.  Put SuperFeet inserts in the sandals with  SeamSeal/ShoeGoo and Velcro tape.
 3.  Put ShoeGoo on the bottom of the sandals where you know you wear  footwear soles.  This should be in your bounce/drift box too.
 4.  Wear hiking socks.  These must be cleaned at camp each  night.  Just put on the extra pair and let the others day the next day on  the trail.  Simple.
 5.  Keep your feet clean too.  You will pick up some trail dust  on your feet.  Also, use a good foot cream each night so your foot skin  does not dry out.
 6.  For rain I just wear some "water resistant" socks.  No  problem.

 What is cool to do is blast through a stream when everyone else is stopped  and changing footwear.  Everyone is sitting around like this stream is a  big deal and here you come banging along the trail.  You don't even break  stride.  You just say, "Howdy", as you quickly walk by, cross the stream,  and blast up the trail.  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.  Your socks quickly dry  out hiking on the trail in good weather.

 You will think you have died and gone to heaven when you hike in  sandals.  You will say, "This is so cool and nice.  That Switchback is  a neat guy."

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.