[pct-l] No-see-ums on PCT?

JoAnn jomike at cot.net
Mon Dec 10 15:02:55 CST 2007

Hello from real northern California. I do not know the specific, scientific name for what we have up here, but we call them "no-see-ums". They are in the lower elevations (2000' +/-) and swarm your face getting in your eyes and nose at times. They probably would never be a reason to stop hiking but they will really be a pain-in-the-butt. I take my neckerchief and very rapidly swoosh it back and forth in front of my face; it isn't perfect but improves the trail environment, a lot. You'd run into around here in section and in the Castle Crags State Park. Once you climb out of the canyon and are at much higher elevations, your problem goes away.

are we there yet