[pct-l] Bear Spray

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 19:18:39 CST 2007

I have to reply to the comment about bear spray and the protection it might afford. One consideration might be how long you've had the container around. Years ago I carried MACE (had to take a class and get a permit first) for personal safety in the city. I had the can for a few years and then one day began to wonder what its shelf life was. I decided to test it. The spray went out about 12 inches and then fizzled. I figured I was lucky to have tried it when it wasn't really needed because it sure wouldn't have done me any good again any bad guys.

I would carry spray in some parts of Grizzly country, but in black bear territory, no!
Susan Alcorn
Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
http://www.backpack45.com/ & http://www.backpack45.blogspot.com/
Publishers of two award-winning books: "Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago" and "We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers."