[pct-l] hiking speed - a thought about "the Ray way"

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Thu Dec 6 10:14:00 CST 2007

Hi, Jeff!

My point, exactly!

 The trail is there for all to enjoy as their interests dictate.

It would appear we are examples of classic backpackers.  The longer we are
out there, the stronger we become from daily hiking.  It is natural to
expect the pace to pick up as we go along, to the point of diminishing
returns of things noticed around us that we value as the purpose of the
hike, like having the time to climb the tree, read a book beside the lake,
lay in the sun, sit by the fire, listen to the woods, go swimming, fishing,
or climbing as a side activity.

Speaking of pace naturally increasing as you get stronger, I was cruising at
24mpd in July and Aug. (Ore/Wash) when my recently graduated High School
friends joined me for a brief "hike," they thought. That pace was my rhythm
at that point; it sure wasn't theirs!  I still feel so bad about that. I
guess the lesson there is, you can't mix the strong thru with the green
hiker (unless the thru slows down). The thru will dust them just by nature.

What is interesting is that my fondest memories of my thru hikes of the
Crest and Divide are of the times I took to soak in where I was, whether I
was cooling my feet in a creek, sitting on a rock enjoying a view, cooking a
leisurely breakfast and watching the world unfold around me (still in my bag
cowboy-camping with my back against my pack against a tree, Fletcher-style),
or yodeling from a peak to hear if there would be an echo. Is everybody that
way?

What are your fondest memories on-trail?

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com