[pct-l] hiking speed - a thought about "the Ray way"

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Dec 6 07:43:23 CST 2007

My experience - a committed section hiker - is that at the beginning of
a hike I tend to hike more slowly as I get in shape, then after four or
five weeks, find myself able to hike more efficiently both up and down.
I'm able to maintain a steady pace more easily.  After six weeks where
before I'd stop at 3 or 4 after hiking 10-15 miles, I would stop at 3 or
4 after hiking 20 or so miles.  I never got to the point where I wanted
to hike more than that - til dark and average 30 mpd.  Regardless of the
point in my hike, foot pain has me want to stop at 3 or 4, or later if I
took a couple hours in the middle of the day.

I always have stronger memories of what I see after a month on the
trail.  I'm not as spaced or paying as much attention to where my feet
are landing as I was earlier in the hike.  I'm much more a part of the
world I'm walking through.

Jeff, just Jeff...