[pct-l] hiking speed

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Thu Dec 6 02:02:43 CST 2007

Reading over an observation Brick made a few days ago about growing strength making for easier, longer days, I wanted to ask the question,

When you're hiking fast, how do you know if you're missing anything as compared to hiking slower? Has anybody out there done the same trail section at different speeds and noticed any difference in awareness of their surroundings?

    As I grew stronger into my trip, my pace naturally increased. I started at 17mpd and was averaging 24 thru Oregon and Wash.. I know my momentum didn't allow much staring off to the sides of the trail, as I had to watch out for rocks and roots, and the bugs didn't let me enjoy my breaks for long, blut it was quite natural to keep the feet movin' all day long - a rhythm. I do believe, however, that I would have been able to notice and enjoy more had I been flyin' slower. But how would I know for sure without re-hiking the same sections at a slower pace?

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com