[pct-l] Ursack(s) for Oregon

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:13:48 CST 2007

If you double-bag your ursack, you're going to limit how much food you can
store in the inner sack.

An ursack within an ursack may act as a deterrent, but if a bear can get
through the first sack, they'll eventually get through the second.

IMHO, bears in Oregon are much more timid than those in the High Sierra.
Follow the basic usage guidelines for the ursack (don't sleep with it, tie
it to a tree, etc...) and you should be fine.

As an Oregon native, I've had no problems with using my *single layer*
ursack left alone for extended periods while out peakbagging.

Be well,

Senator

---

Ollen wrote:

Reading all the traffic regarding Ursacks and Garcias and BearVaults and
Bearikades, primarily if not exclusively in the context of California PCT
sections and, being the owner of a never-yet-used Ursack V27, intended for
use in Oregon only Sept 2008...

I am wondering about the effectiveness and/or (f)utility of perhaps
'double-bagging'... that is, an Ursack within an Ursack...

Rather than eating the cost of my V27 to replace it with a (perhaps unneeded
for Oregon and certainly heavier) BV / Garcia /Bearikade, might it not be
sufficient and overall less costly for me to buy another V27 and
double-bag?  I'd be out only $50 more, the twin V27s weigh in at 16 ounces
combined, and, when used in conjunction with odor-proofing liners might just
be a workable and sufficient food protection strategy for Oregon...

Your opinions will be appreciated and considered.

Thanks,
Ollen
Venus, TX