[pct-l] The latest info on URSACK-Bearikade

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Dec 3 19:23:33 CST 2007

I carried a friend's Bearikade standard can when I hiked the JMT in 2005. I
met the infamous Forester Pass big bad bear in camp at the highest tree camp
on the north side. He showed up at 9:30pm, and again at 11pm. My Bearikade
was only 10ft away tucked against a log, and he gave it his best, scratching
the can as he spun it around. He then went after the two other hiker's
Bearvaults in the camp, since he was experienced in opening the Bearvaults
by compressing them until the lid popped off. This bear is significant in
the improvements in quality and security of the current Bearvaults. I slept
through his test session, and all the screaming of the other campers, since
I'm used to living with bears, I blended the screaming into my dreams...
When they told me about the bear last night, I said, "what bear??" I carried
a pack of firecrackers for bears the whole JMT that I never got to use!  I
found this note the next day at Tyndall Creek. On Bearikade's website in
"news" they show a canister that was very scratched up by this bear's skills
and craftiness, but it's not mine.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/55556919
http://wild-ideas.net/news/news.html  Scroll down to see the can that beat
the big bad bear!

This story is copied off of Bearikade's website in the News area. 'Same bear
I slept through..

"... the story of the scratches -
We camped one night very high above the tree line and just below the North
side of Forester Pass. We had heard that a rather aggressive bear had swiped
one guy across the face somewhere in that vicinity and so were very careful
to put the cans some 150' from our tents. During the night the bear padded
past the tents, overturned one of the rucksacks, and then headed up to the
cans. He / she ignored the Bear Vault (a good job because he has learnt to
open this type by turning them on one side and then sitting forcefully on
the can to pop the lid off!) but gave both of the Bearikades his undivided
attention for 50 minutes. He then went away to return for a repeat 1/2 hour
session some 20 minutes later. I lay in my tent listening to him chew and
maul the can until one was just 30 feet from the tent (there's a moral here:
Never leave the cans 'uphill' of your campsite! Doh!

We were very impressed with the standard of manufacture of your cans,
especially as even after all that attention the cans suffered nothing but
scratches, and will be eager to give to anyone who'll listen our strongest
recommendation"

This legendary bear canister tester may be gone now, however, the next one
may be even badder. Bear cans can save bears and hikes.

~~~~
Yes. The Bearikade.  However, the weight savings and extra capacity may not
justify the significant price difference. Carbon fiber and steel is much
more expensive than polycarbonate.
http://wild-ideas.net/index2.html

Bearikade Weekender
capacity 6 days; 600 cubic inches; 9x10 inches
weight 31 oz
cost $225