[pct-l] Snow in the Lagunas

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 07:19:49 CST 2007

And aren't we blessed to be in that world???!!!!  I hope no one else finds out about our world!  They'll take over the back country!  LET'S KEEP IT A SECRET!!  :-P

Wheeew

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:      Captain Bivy writes: I went up to the Lagunas today to walk the dogs (both in  the literal and figurative sense) and drove to Pioneer Mail.  YIPES!   I jumped back in the car.  Thirty mile an hour freezing winds blowing snow  was too much for someone who forgot to bring long pants.  I retreated to  the campground where it wouldn't be as windy, and enjoyed the falling  snow.
 That is very interesting.  The Lagunas can be very touchy with weather  around April Kickoff time too.  About 3 years ago I slept near the road  going back to Mt. Laguna where my vehicle was.  I was doing a little  Section A hiking.  It was dark when I made camp.  There were few cars  to get rides from.  I was too tired to set up my tarp, so I just used it as  a bivy -- not too much condensation.  The fog and cold blew in all  night.  The next morning I got a ride in the rain back to the Mt. Laguna  store.

 What was interesting the guy I got a ride from was a local.  He had  lived in the area all his life and had a good job.  He knew nothing about  the PCT or the April Kickoff.  I pointed out the trail as we drove  back.  It showed me what an insulated world we live in --- the hard-core  hiking world.  Weird. :-)

 Thanks, Switchback