[pct-l] Snow in the Lagunas

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 03:18:20 CST 2007

Captain Bivy writes: I went up to the Lagunas today to walk the dogs (both in
 the literal and figurative sense) and drove to Pioneer Mail.  YIPES!   I
jumped back in the car.  Thirty mile an hour freezing winds blowing snow  was too
much for someone who forgot to bring long pants.  I retreated to  the
campground where it wouldn't be as windy, and enjoyed the falling  snow.
That is very interesting.  The Lagunas can be very touchy with weather
around April Kickoff time too.  About 3 years ago I slept near the road  going back
to Mt. Laguna where my vehicle was.  I was doing a little  Section A hiking.
It was dark when I made camp.  There were few cars  to get rides from.  I was
too tired to set up my tarp, so I just used it as  a bivy -- not too much
condensation.  The fog and cold blew in all  night.  The next morning I got a
ride in the rain back to the Mt. Laguna  store.

What was interesting the guy I got a ride from was a local.  He had  lived in
the area all his life and had a good job.  He knew nothing about  the PCT or
the April Kickoff.  I pointed out the trail as we drove  back.  It showed me
what an insulated world we live in --- the hard-core  hiking world.  Weird. :-)

Thanks, Switchback