[pct-l] RE.Trail Maintenance

Piroska Balogh piros4 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 30 19:02:15 CDT 2007

I have just returned from hiking through the old Glacier Peak trail
and found some trail maintenance happening. One small bridge was
repaired and another bigger bridge was in the process of being built.
(I can't remember which stream it was). What I noticed was that there
are many sections of trail, mostly in steep terrain, that have long,
deep, lengthwise cracks; I think its called slumping in geology. The
downhill side of these cracks is loose and my guess is that its only
a matter of time until these sections of trail slide. The obvious
problems are the trail overgrowth and lack of bridges but I think
this risk of serious trail erosion, which isn't as obvious, if not
addressed soon, will result in the loss of significant sections of
trail bed making it even more expensive or maybe even impossible to
repair this section.

Last Cookie