[pct-l] No camping with 100 feet of PCT & Lakes - Marble Mountains-Pika

Bob Bob rew_us at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 16:35:12 CDT 2007

I hiked through the Marble Mountains (South of Seiad
Valley) and was going to camp at Paradise Lake but the
official PCT guide said you were not allowed to camp
within 200 feet a lake in a wilderness.   I kept going
but then ran into several miles of trail that had no
place to set up a tent.  I thought that long used
established campsites were ok to camp at even if they
were along a creek or lake - that it discouraged
people from creating new camp sites.  I was there aug
20 - aug 24 and saw Sarah (no trailname) going SOBO
from Canada to Old Station,  Axe going NOBO, Medicine
Man and Stamp Lady going NOBO, and Swan going NOBO.
Swan put in a 30 mile day going north out of Etna
Summit.  She completed the AT which I am going to hike
the southern half of starting this September 9th. Swan
talked with Scott Williamson and his wife earlier in
the day on the trail heading SOBO to Etna Summit.
Pika