[pct-l] question about comfort

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Aug 27 21:44:53 CDT 2007

This summer I used a combination of a full-length blue foam pad, 1/2",
and one of GVP's eggshell pads.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html

I also used a insulated pad

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

instead of a groundcloth.  I put the eggshell pad on top of the
thinlight and put both under the tent.  This afforded my shoulders to
hips over an inch of padding.  I spent five night in the rain this
summer, one of them intense rain for hours, and didn't get cold or wet
from the water flowing under the tent.  The thinlight and nighlight
combo worked in conjunction with the Tarptent Contrail.  I also sleep
with a quilt rather than sleeping bag - hence the full length blue foam
pad.

The eggshell pad was also great for rest stops - it really does go from
hip to shoulder...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD