[pct-l] was No camping - now building fires

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Aug 27 20:27:57 CDT 2007

I cringe every time I hear of a someone out for more than a couple days
routinely making a fire.  We go to all the trouble of carrying really
light stoves or going stoveless, and then make a fire.  For me this is
akin to poorly burying poop.  I camped a couple hundred yards above the
trail just before the Packwood Glacier and what's left of the Yelverton
Shelter in the Goat Rocks on a little ridge that gave us views of both
Adams and Rainier.  We looked west over where the snowgrass flat trail
hits the PCT and saw six fires.  Granted these were weekenders, but it
made me think.  Isn't it a moral imperative for those of us hiking
sections or the whole to treat the wilderness with the utmost respect,
to tread lightly upon the land?  Don't we model for others?  Just a
thought...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD (the flyover zone)