[pct-l] The Dark Side of "Survivor Man" & "Man Versus Wild"

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 12:48:55 CDT 2007

Those who worry about young and impressionable bucks getting stupid in
the backcountry may have a valid argument, but for the most part are
missing the point. Of necessity, these shows are staged and have a wide
margin of safety. Heck, it's television, and these guys need to live to
see another paycheck. The actors are presenting survival *scenarios* -
stuff that could happen, and how to respond. The voiceover narration for
Mv.W says as much: "Bear does these things so you won't have to" (sic).
Often it's obvious that the survival scenarios or demonstrated solutions
would be avoidable in the real world - walk around the lake rather than
swimming, downclimb through the forest rather than the slippery 100ft
high cascade, consume the pulp of prickly pear in the desert but avoid
eating the scorpions. But all the same, some interesting and potential
valuable skills are taught, the shows ARE entertaining and very
watchable, and above all, I think, inspiring. I'm left to look somewhat
anew at the natural environment; my sense of connection to the
wilderness is heightened.

Dark side?

- blisterfree

 >>I had a similar thought while watching that episode.  He comes to a
lake (not all that big) and sees a trail/road on the far side.  Instead
of walking around the lake, he swims across the lake risking hypothermia
and drowning. As he is swimming he tells us how cold and tired he is
getting.   How stupid is that?  But as you say, it makes for more
dramatic television.  Some expert.
Marion