[pct-l] Glacier Reroute closed by fire

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 20 10:31:43 CDT 2007

The Glacier Peak section of the PCT and its detour has caused a great
deal of frustration locally. We have watched some roads and trails for
Mt. Rainier get repaired in just six months, but it has been almost four
years with little progress for trail repairs to the original PCT route
on the west side of the mountain. There is a good discussion of the
situation on the NW Hikers Web site if you are interested:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7961652&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

One interesting tidbit on that site contradicts some of Tatoo Joe's
descriptions of the original PCT route on the west side of the mountain.
A report by two climbers found that
"Despite the annoying creek crossings, the PCT itself is in surprisingly
decent shape. We expected significantly more blow down and we
encountered relatively little brush."

Here is a link to their trip report:

http://www.sverdina.com/glacier/glacier3.htm

However, they did not hike the full length of the PCT that has been
closed, so it is likely that they never reached the worst sections that
Tatoo Joe was talking about.

Right now, with the Boulder Fire closing the detour, thru hikers have
just two options--an annoying road walk or a rigorous trek across
washouts, blowdown timber and brush on the original PCT. But since it's
been raining here and in the mountains for the last two days, maybe
Mother Nature is planning to douse the fire and open the detour.

Tom "Bullfrog" Griffin
Seattle
PCT Pages: http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct.html