[pct-l] Graffiti, good and bad ones

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 17:23:54 CDT 2007

carl myhill <carl at litsl.com> wrote:     Hi All

Someone has been writing 'PCT ->' with a black marker pen (a Sharpie I
guess) along the route. This is discrete and is very helpful. I suspect Yogi
may be doing it but that's just a guess

Ah, let me be sure here of something you are saying ....
  "Yogi", you think MAY be doing the original graffiti, and because its discrete and very helpful for hikers coming along behind her that its OK for her to do graffiti on BLM and FS trail markers .
  Then along comes (someone) else and defaces the same signs that  it was ok for Yogi to deface as hers was helpful. Whereas the new signer marking are not helpful at all and in fact may lead hikers amiss....

  Is this what i am reading here from you?

Since Mac Kenzie Pass (OR) someone else has got hold of a similar marker pen
and has decided to change ALL of these 'PCT ->' markings into Graffiti
adding different arrows and creating general confusion.

Here are some photos of this graffiti...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlmyhill/sets/72157601553821741/

I have not seen them doing this so I cannot say who I think it is. However,
I have today called law enforcement and told them everything I know.

If this is who I think it is they are heading into Cascade Locks today.
Anyone North of there should still see the original 'PCT ->' black markings.
Anyone between Timberline and Cascade Locks will see Graffiti.

  So anyone north of there will only see the signs  that Yogi has gratified with helpful markings......

  "So is it a single person "who" is responsible or are "they" a pair of culprits doing the bad graffiti?

   This well in itself is very hard to understand why folks "graffiti" the trails but its pretty common. Take for example when last year the kid named "Bama" even signed his name to his marking or how about the "Eagle Scouts and Poro" who gratified the PCT as well as the CDT a few years ago. Should we call law enforcement on them too? They at least signed their names to their graffiti.

  I hope we catch the culprit(s) before they Graffiti the whole trail all
through Washington.

  Looking at the original accepted graffiti pictures you posted you can clearly see that are not from Yogi either.... She makes her Ps and Ts differently then these. Must be someone else doing the "helpful" graffiti.

      Well thanks Carl for the post and yes lets find out who these folks are....
  Meadow Ed