[pct-l] Whitney Portal Question

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Mon Aug 13 20:10:40 CDT 2007

You will also need a "Wag Bag" (available at the USFS offices in Lone Pine) if there is a chance you'll be reliving yourself between Whitney Portal and the Crabtree Ranger Station.  As of this year, the Whitney Zone is officially "pack it out" instead of "walk off the trail a few feet and leave it (and the TP of course) in a crevice for the next hiker to find."  The solar never-really-composting toilets at Outpost Camp and Trail Camp (and the "throne with a view" at the summit) have been removed.  Since there is no backcountry disposal of said wag bags, in theory you'll have to carry said bag, and contents, through the backcountry, or at least dispose of the contents (in good LNT style: 6" deep, nowhere near water, organically active soil, etc.) outside of the Whitney Zone--although it's not clear that the odor-control gel in the wag bags is suitable for backcountry disposal.

The above doesn't affect the PCT per-se, since it never enters the Whitney Zone.  Wag Bags are also available at the Crabtree RS junction in an impossible-to-miss (or say you missed) location, but must be disposed of elsewhere.

Horseshoe Meadows is an alternate trailhead that avoids the Whitney Zone permit issue, the wag bag issue, and the climb over Trail Crest (13,600').

Checked by AVG Free Edition.