[pct-l] On-topic - barely: Backpacker magazine changes

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Aug 13 19:55:09 CDT 2007

I still have their first year issues from 1973 or so, since I subscribed
right from the beginning.  The mid 1970s were the best years for "Backpacker
Magazine." I still remember that Yvon Chouinard preferred the Svea 123
stove..from a stove review issue.. Everytime the resubscribe notice comes, I
feel like dropping it. I did drop it for a few years in the late-80s and
they called me up. I told them I was disappointed in the advertisement lean,
and lack of adventure stories and gear reviews. I still subscribe, probably
because I'm just a lowly backpacking addict...gotta get that next hit, that
next rush, that next issue....that'll be the one!!  Yeah I'm getting old,
but I've been out there in the wilderness a long time!