[pct-l] Whitney Portal Question

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Aug 13 17:21:31 CDT 2007

If you're starting out of the Whitney Portal, you have to have a permit.  The permit is required for hiking the Portal Trail -- not to summit Whitney.  It is one of the most-used trails in the US, and is controlled through the permit process described at the website below.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/mtwhitney.shtml

You may be able to pick up an unclaimed permit at the USFS office in Lone Pine. If you are trying to get a permit in advance, however, it's done by lottery, and applications have to be submitted in February each year.

I have seen a ranger checking for permits and bear cans on the trail, and turning people around that didn't have both.

L-Rod