[pct-l] JMT Land Speed Record.htm

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Aug 2 04:32:27 CDT 2007

[pct-l] JMT Land Speed Record

THAT   IS  RIGHT  DEEMS,.........I must admit I am a scruffy looking one on
the trail.
I never did put much emphasis on fashion or snappy looks when I'm in the
wilderness, only functionality....maybe that is why JoAnn does not like me
very much....she likes'm snappy looking.
Unlike Switchback who pays $120 for designer shirts, $95 for fashion trend
hiking shorts and who knows how much for his silk underwear, I get the
finest garments available at Good Will, usually $.50 - $1 per item for my
snappy hiking wardrobe.
It seems to me that the scruffy hikers tend to be better adapted to the
wilderness than the snappy, fresh out of Designer Showcase looking hikers.
The snappy looking ones don't seem to do so good or look so good after a few
days in the wilderness, while the scroungy looking ones just seem to keep on
roling.
There is no need to spend a fortune on hiking cloth.....you can find fleece,
gortex etc. dirt cheap at Thrift stores.
Besides, after you roll around in the dirt a few times they look the same
anyhow and you don't have to be nervous about getting your fancy wardrobe
dirty.

As far as the record is concerned, I have already accepted that it will
change hands, the competition is just to strong this year.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted but it's time to pass the torch to the
younger generation.

Maybe  SWITCHBACK  CAN  BRING  IT  BACK  NEXT  YEAR  to the pct-l family
where it rightfully belongs.

JMT Reinhold
The snappy looking one

Deems wrote:
Any time you are fortunate enough to meet Reinhold on the JMT, as I was in
2005, when he is trying to best his own JMT record, you will find him
dressed in his finest trail attire. Perfection expressed in scrounginess,
wearing the finest plaid boxers, a 3 day beard, and an exuberant trail
spirit pursuing a dream that would kill almost any young extreme marathon
runner. This record is held with honor by Reinhold today, and I hope for
another year. He will hold the 63 yr old hiker record for the JMT probably
forever!!