[pct-l] snow pack

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Tue Apr 24 13:34:42 CDT 2007

"However, in Washington they're 300% of normal."

I suspect that whereever you read this was an out-of-date source (?) --- if
not, I'd appreciate any pointers to more info.  My very limited experience
suggested to me that it's not a particularly unusual year in Washington
state, so I took a brief look and found this April 9th release:
ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/WA/Home/NR_StreamFlow_0407.pdf

(warning, pdf file, not an html document)

To summarize key points, it says that as of beginning of April (WA)
statewide snowpack is 98 percent of average, down 22 percent from a month
earlier.

"Statewide March stream flows were mostly all much above-average primarily
due to warmer temperatures and above-average precipitation during the month.
These above-average stream flows are increasing the likelihood of diminished
late summer stream flows."

Another section lists some specific areas, including this text (closest
referenced to the PCT):
"Snowpack along the east slopes of the Cascade Mountains included the Yakima
area with 89 percent and the Wenatchee area with 86 percent".

	Brian Lewis