[pct-l] wordwrap problem viewing list messages: a nice solution!--revised

Joseph S. Park jsp at itsla.edu
Sat Apr 21 21:12:01 CDT 2007

Hi Tortoise,

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what is the problem that remains.
Your first sentence really covers it:

>You have found a work-around for viewing long non-wrapped lines in IE
>and perhaps other browsers. However the problem remains.

That was actually my goal, to view non-wrapped lines in IE and other
browsers.
So what problem?

>I looked at a message I sent. My retained copy had long lines which
>displayed in my word processor as too long. However when the message
>came back to me from the list, the lines were wrapped. Maybe by my email
>program; maybe by the list-serv software, or who knows.

So, going by what you say above, the lines --are-- wrapped for you, so no
problem, right? No?

>Since I read my email in Thunderbird the .css work-around doesn't work
>for me.

So now you're saying actually at least some messages don't wordwrap when
you're using Thunderbird? (or else you wouldn't --need-- the .css
work-around).

If that's the case, then I'm sorry. I'm convinced after my research that it
is actually a viewer problem, not a server problem. For example, normal html
text  is one continuous text without line breaks. Normally, the lines break
automatically according to the size of the viewer/browser window (you can
even try it in IE: just pull one edge out, and you'll notice that the text
in most cases expands with the expanding window). It seems that sometimes,
the messages sent by pct-l subscribers are formatted in a way which prevents
this default word-wrapping feature (that was what Reinhold's two types was
all about). Therefore, the .css work-around is designed to overcome that
specific problem.
Since the problem is one of viewers/browsers, and it seems to me that IE and
other browsers are taken care of by the .css work-around, then what remains
is some kind of solution for the viewer called Thunderbird (if indeed I am
understanding you correctly). I haven't seen the problem in outlook express,
which is my other viewer/email client. So I guess you would have to look
into the Thunderbird preferences/options to figure out if there's some way
to avoid the problem.

Sorry for the long post. I'll stop here by saying, yes, the problem remains
for you (specifically, viewing non-work-break lines in Thunderbird).
However, for those who use a browser such as IE to view the pct-l archives,
I think the .css solution works.

J. S. Park